Key moments in Balfour+Manson history

2015

  • Ann Logan accredited as first clinical negligence specialist and assessor in Scotland by Association of Personal Injury Lawyers (APIL)

  • Fred Tyler successfully appealed Montgomery v Lanarkshire Health Board [2013] CSIH 3 to the Supreme Court. The Supreme Court ruled in favour of Fred's client in a momentous decision that will affect the doctor-patient relationship throughout the whole of the UK.

  • Hugh Angus joins firm as Commercial and Charities Partner

2014

2013

  • We celebrate 125 years in providing legal services to our clients.

  • All four second year trainees are kept on as Solicitors.

  • Firm nominated for Marketing Strategy of the year at Scottish Business Awards

  • Chairman Fred Tyler celebrates his 40 years with the firm.

  • Partner Elaine Motion celebrates 20 years with the firm.

  • Sir Jackie Stewart delivers inspirational talk to staff on his struggles with Dyslexia and motivates us with his tips for success - read more.

  • Ranked band 1 for 10th consecutive year in clinical negligence and personal injury by Chambers UK Guide to the Legal Profession 2014 - read more.

  • Shortlisted in the Scottish Arts & Business Awards for sponsorship of 'AniMotion'.

  • Ian Balfour completed 'The History of Balfour+Manson LLP: the first 125 years'. To read the history as recalled by Ian Balfour, Grandson of William Balfour who founded the firm in 1887 please click here

2012

  • We are one of the founding members of 'QA Legal', an international association of lawyers and financial and banking specialists, which advises clients who have lost money in banking scandals.

  • The firm sponsor Dame Evelyn Glennie & Maria Rud's 'AniMotion' event at the National Museum of Scotland.

  • Alastair Milne assumed Partner

2007

  • The firm's name is changed from Balfour & Manson to Balfour+Manson

  • The Partnership becames a Limited Liability Partnership (LLP).

2006

  • Fred Tyler is appointed Chairman.

2004

1998

  • The purchase of 52A Frederick Street extended the firm's premises from Queen Street to Hill Street.

  • We are invited to join 'Parlex', an international consortium of lawyers and remain the sole Scottish member.

1997

  • Ian and William Balfour, the last family links with with the founder of the firm retire.

1992  

  • Individual personal computers links us to the world wide web.

1991  

  • Merger with Nightingale & Bell creates the largest Edinburgh litigation firm.

1987-1988

  • We mark our centenary in legal practice.

Cake

Centenary Celebratory Cake

1982  

  • The 1st legal firm in Scotland to use email, called ‘Telecom Gold’.

1973

  • Fred Tyler, our former Chairman starts as an apprentice.

1971-1975 

  • 56, 60 and 66 Frederick Street purchased and linked to the other buildings.

1955  

  • 62 Frederick Street purchased and later linked to 58 by the present corridor.

1949  

  • Ethel Houston became the 1st lady partner in a Scottish law firm. There were now 4 partners and 17 staff.

1931  

  • 58 Frederick Street, was purchased with six rooms and our first ‘main door’.

Francis Balfour

Francis Balfour

1922  

  • William Balfour’s son, Francis, joined the partnership and retired in 1972.

1917-1931 

  • The office moved to 24 Castle Street, Edinburgh.

1904-1906 

They opened an office in Aberdeen, to keep the Orcadian connection.

1904  

  • He invited his nephew, Peter Manson, to enter into partnership as Balfour & Manson.

1888-1904 

  • He practised on his own in Queen Street, Edinburgh.

1882-1887 

  • William Balfour apprenticed to solicitors at 62 Frederick Street.